Monday, April 2, 2018

album challenge day 3: the milner brothers

For the third day of the album challenge, I went with Haven't Lost a Thing by The Milner Brothers.

I am very fond of the music on this Kingston Trio-inspired album. The Milners' take on "Saro Jane" and "Run the Ridges" are great, even though this isn't really my favorite style of music. I do note that this album didn;t really lead me on any kind of discovery of other groups the way my picks from days one and two did.

For reference, those posts are here and here.

At any rate, given what I have to say above, why would I pick this album? One important reason. It includes a song I co-wrote. "Music No One Else Can Hear, which is the seventh track on the album, is one of mine. Honestly, at this point I'm not crazy about the song. And I've gone back and rewritten it. But this is the song that got me into ASCAP, and on the virtue of which I can say (with tongue planted in cheek) that I'm a professional songwriter.

I couldn;t find any videos of the Milner Brothers. But here's a video of my song being done by Dolce Canto, another group that Scott Milner played with while he was living in Montana. It's less folky and more klezmer-y than the Milner Brothers version. Also, the lighting and sound quality are poor in this video. But it's the best I could come up with.


No comments:

Post a Comment