Monday, July 1, 2019

same title, very different song

Well, this was an interesting surprise.

One of the songs I wrote (hopefully for the album that I will be recording) is "Write a Song About Me." I made a crude Youtube video (thanks for the help, Sharon!) of me singing it. I needed to find the video on Youtube, so I searched for the title "Write A Song About Me." And I found this:


That's not the song I wrote, and it's not me singing it. Oh, and it's not in my home office.

Don't get me wrong. I like this song. But it's not mine. Fortunately for me it bears no resemblance to my song (other than the title, and you can't copyright a song title).

And as long as we're here, here's the origin story for my song.

Back in 2012 we were on a family roadtrip to California. While driving, I was occupying my mind by trying to think of ideas for songs, but I was coming up empty. We made a stop for games at GameStop. As I was waiting to pay, there were some college kids behind the counter talking about their classes. One of them said he needed a subject for an essay he had to write. His colleague said "Write about me. I like it when people write about me." And an idea was born.

Anyway, here's my song (warts and all):


Oh, and Matt Jaffe, if by some chance you're reading this, I like your music.

No comments:

Post a Comment