Sunday, July 21, 2019

my first daylily convention

After seven years in the daylily world, I finally attended a cconvention. It was the annual Region 4 Regional Meeting, and LIDS -- my local club -- was hosting it, so how could I not. Still, I want full credit for attending.

Friday night featured the auction. I may have gone a little overboard. As I boarded the tour on Saturday, people I don't even know reminded me that I'd have some planting ahead of me. I'm not going to say how much I bought, but let's note that I had to buy 36 marker stakes from LIDS. 
Joan Lundin's display garden

It wasn't exactly an easy weekend --  we were hit with hundred-plus degree weather, which made Saturday's garden tours more of a challenge than expected. I know the heat got to me, and I didn't feel well during dinner on Saturday night.

But it was worth it to see the LIDS members' beautiful display gardens -- we visited Joan Lundin, Pat Sayers and Chris Peterson -- before heading to lunch at Planting Fields, where we could see the LIDS display garden.



The most interesting aspect of the tours is seeing how three people took very different types of spaces and crafted them into daylily gardens. Joan's yard is on a hill, and  she had to create a kind of layered effect.Chris, by contrast, loves by the shore and needs to have her daylilies separated from the ocean because they don't do well with salt water. And Pat's garden, which combines an open space with secluded grottoes was an interesting study in contrasts all by itself.

We topped it off this morning by attending a garden judge's workshop at Paul Limmer's house. Since this was the second judging workshop, and I took the first one online several months ago, I may just be some paperwork away from being a certified daylily judge -- I have to look into that.

Oh, and one other thing -- Blair and I won the big box of ten assorted wines in the Chinese auction. Party at my place!

Next year in Connecticut.

No comments:

Post a Comment