Tuesday, July 30, 2019

happy tunesday! ("marie provost" by nick lowe)


I'm going with something a bit better-known than I usually do. Nick Lowe is one of my favorite singers, and "Marie Provost" (from his first solo album) is one of his catchiest songs. A hummable melody and lots of jangly guitars, with a memorable refrain: "She was a winner / Who became her doggie's dinner." It's one of my favorites from the venerable singer/songwriter's catalogue.

The song is loosely based on the life and sad death of silent film star Marie Prevost, who had trouble adapting to talkies. And I am justifying my decision to feature here because yesterday was July 29, the day that, according to the song, her body was found. In actuality, her body was found on January 23, But I guess that has too many syllables.

If you're interested, you can read about Marie Prevost here.


No comments:

Post a Comment