Tuesday, July 9, 2019

it's tunesday! ("kvar akharei khatsot" by ilanit)


Back when I was a kid I spent a summer at Camp Massad Gimel (which no longer exists). Like its affiliates, Camps Massad Aleph and Massad Bet, it was a Hebrew immersion camp. In theory. The idea was that, after spending a summer speaking only Hebrew the kids would come back fluent. But the Hebrew immersion part wasn't really enforced, so...well, if you know me you know how well it turned out. But it was at that camp that I learned to like brocolli. So I have that going for me, which is nice.

While the camp didn't really do a good job of being Hebrew immersion, we did learn a lot of Israeli pop songs. One of my favorites was this gem, Ilanit's first single. To this day, I love it, For those uninitiated, the title translates to "It's After Midnight." It's a plea on behalf of lovers for an extra moment before the new day begins. The following is my best attempt at translating the first verse:
It's after midnight
But the moon hasn't been turned off yet.
So before they turn off the lights,
The lights of the stars,
Give another moment to the lovers.
Ilanit, for her part, went on to have a nice long career spanning decades. If I'm not mistaken she was a Eurovision contestant several times. But none of her other songs stuck with me the way this does. And I don't think any of the others were as popular.

No comments:

Post a Comment