Sunday, April 21, 2019

and now, for los straitjackets


I probably never would have heard of Los Straitjackets, the instrumental surf band, if not for the gfact that they've been supporting Nick Lowe on tour in recent years. I'm still into Lowe's music, having become a fan during his days as a rock and roller, and following him into his self-reinvention as a crooner. Now, with Los Straitjackets, he seems to have found a kind of middle ground.

Their schtick of wearing Mexican wrestler masks -- well, it's amusing I guess. And I'm sure it makes for an interesting visual in concert. But I'm more interested in how the music sounds. As near as I can tell, they're good musicians. And I enjoy surf music, but instrumentals aren't generally a thing that I go for.

That said, they put out a Nick Lowe tribute album -- instrumental versions of Lowe's songs, cleverly titled What's So Funny About Peace, Love and Los Straitjackets, and with a cover that's a clear homage to Lowe's debut solo album, Jesus of Cool. The two album covers are reproduced here for your interest and convenience.

Given all that, I was kind of curious about what the Los Straitjackets' renditions of Nick Lowe tunes sound like. So I went and streamed it on Amazon. It's actually not bad. I do like that surf sound, and I'm a sucker for cover versions that sound materially different than the originals. I'll probably go and get a copy.



No comments:

Post a Comment