Tuesday, April 2, 2019

orange-infused dark chocolate: a taste test

One of the things that sucks about trying to lose weight is that I can't have candy. Well, I mean, I can have candy. But it prevents me from losing the weight. Also, I'm not good at moderation, so it's hard for me to have just a little bit of candy and stop. Generally, I can eat no candy or all the candy.

But dark chocolate is something I can have. First of all -- and I don't claim to know the biochemistry behind this -- it's somehow better for you than milk chocolate. My trainer has said that it's OK to have some if I stick to small quantities. Second, I just don't like it as much as milk chocolate, so I don't feel compelled to scarf it all down. That thing I said about being able to eat no candy or all the candy? That doesn't apply to dark chocolate. So I can keep a bar of dark chocolate in my desk and occasionally have a small piece -- once every day or every other day.

I have found that, when having dark chocolate I prefer to have it infused with orange or ginger. There's some brand that I like -- I forget the name, but I'd recognize it if I see it -- that makes a really good dark chocolate with orange and ginger in it. That's the best. And they sell it at the fake health food store near me.

Recently, Blair and I were shopping at Fairway, and I wanted to get a bar. But, tragically, they didn;t have it. They did, however, have five different kinds of dark chocolate with orange. I couldn't decide which one to get. Blair solved my dilemma, suggesting I get all five and do a taste test. So here are my results, in the order of my preference.


Lindt Excellence Intense Orange Dark (47%)
First question: Does 47% even qualify as dark chocolate? Maybe that's why I liked it best. It definitely tasted the most like milk chocolate. Not quite, but almost. It had a nice oranginess to it, and a good texture.

Cote D'Or Fin Noir Orange (54%)
A bit darker, and therefore bitterer than the Lindt, but still, does this count as dark? It had the strongest orange flavor of the five, and that won it big points. But it wasn't as sweet or smooth as Lindt. For what it's worth, Cote D'Or makes really good milk chocolate.

Chocolove Orange Peel in Dark Chocolate (55%)
I went in figuring that this would be my favorite, since Chocolove makes really good milk chocolate. But it was just at the median. I liked the slight crunch of the orange bits, and it had a good texture. But the orange wasn't strong enough, and the overall taste was kind of meh.

Dolfin Dark Chocolate with Candied Orange Peels (percentage not indicated on package)
I couldn't really taste much orange, and this was kind of chalky. I definitely don't feel the need to scarf it.

Equal Exchange Chocolates Organic & Fairly Traded Dark Chocolate Orange Infused (65%)
Yuck. Way too chalky, and bad-tasting. And I couldn't taste any orange. I repeat: Yuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment