Sunday, April 11, 2021

on bottled water

I've been drinking a lot of water recently. I had a brief conversation about it with my manager at work -- several times when we were on the phone he could hear the sound of me gulping from the water bottle. Or maybe it was the bottle glugging as it surrendered its contents to my waiting lips.

He wasn't angry. Actually, he seemed kind of amused. I've known him for over 30 years, so we have a good rapport. And so, when he heard my gulping, we started talking about water. But when I mentioned that I buy bottled, he paused. I could practically hear his eyes rolling. He made some kind of comment about the wastefulness of buying bottled water when tap water is a tiny fraction of the price. In fact, New York City's tap water is known for being among the best.

Slightly embarassed, I kind of downplayed it. I forget if I blamed it on the kids or on Blair. But he sympathized -- he wants his family to drink tap, but his wife and kids want bottled. If I recall correctly, he lost that fight.

The fact is, I know a lot of people who refuse to buy bottled water. And others who will buy it when they're out and about, but not for drinking at home. And I kind of understand. It seems irresponsible to pay two dollars for something when I can get the same thing for a penny.*

But the thing is, they're not the same. Some bottled waters taste better than tap. There was a time that I tried drinking tap water at home. And I just didn't drink it. I'd fill a bottle with it and have the bottle next to me as I worked. And unless I made a conscious effort to force myself, I wouldn't drink it. And the same is true of some of the lesser waters.

But if I have one of my favorites, I'll drink a lot of it without really thinking. At this point I usually have a case of it by my desk, so I will drink several liters during any given day. I suspect this has contributed to my recent weight loss. If my belly is full of water, I feel less need to eat. I'm not saying that the water is the only factor. But I am sure it's a part of it.

So, what are my favorite waters? I have found that I like the mouth flavor of the high-pH waters -- which, coincidentally, my dentist says are good for teeth. Among those, the ones that taste the best are Starkey, Iceland Natural and Fiji.







____________________

*These numbers are illustrative for making my point. This should not be viewed as an assertion about the actual prices of bottled or tap water.

No comments:

Post a Comment