Tuesday, April 20, 2021

happy tunesday! (never kill a man twice)


Here's another one of my songs -- arranged, performed and produced by Tobias Wilson.

The song evolved, sort of, out of another songwriting project.

Some years ago, I was working on a song called "Bleed Me a River." It was intended to be very negative and threatening. Wild West. Guy threatening another guy with a gun type of stuff. I never did finish that project. Or, rather, I haven't finished that project yet.

At some point, I mentioned to Keith, who teaches the cinema history class I take, that "Bleed Me a River" sounded like the title of a Spaghetti Western. In relatively little time I came up with a general idea for how such a movie would go. I spent a Saturday at Keith's house working with him on the idea.  I never did finish that project. Or, rather, I haven't finished that project yet.

But something came out of it. At one point I had a plot hole. I wasn't sure how to explain a character's actions. Eventually, I came up with a simple explanation. Asked about what he was doing and why, he explained, "Mama always said, 'Never kill a man twice.'"

And at some point I thought that "Never Kill a Man Twice" would make a great song title. I decided to make it abstract, and full of misery. I think I succeeded.

And I think Tobias Wilson, session musician for hire, did a great job with it.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment