Tuesday, December 4, 2018

stan lee in ralph -- planned or ad-hoc?

I just saw Ralph Breaks the Internet with Asher. That's the sequel to the egregiously bad animated movie, Wreck-It Ralph.

Putting aside the question of whether or not I liked the move*, I noticed that Stan Lee makes a brief cameo. It's one of those blink-and-you miss-it moments, but in a chase scene one of the animated avatars is clearly designed to look like Lee.

Since Lee died on November 12 and the movie was released on November 21, this leaves me with the obvious question: Was Lee's likeness supposed to be in the movie all along (believable, given the number of cameos he's made), or was it added at the last minute as a posthumous tribute of sorts?

By the way, it's a serious question -- I have no idea of the answer.

Well, that was quick. Searching for a video to include in this post, I found one that answers the question.

So, yeah. They were planning to include Stan Lee all along, and he just happened to die before the movie came out. 95year-olds -- men especally -- do have high forces of mortality. Anyway, since I know the answer, I should either reword the stuff above or forget about posting this altogether. But screw that. I'll just add this paragraph as if it were a post-posting update.

*spoiler alert: It was pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment