Tuesday, July 14, 2020

it's tunesday: "you'll never get me up (in one of those)" by mickey jupp


I was thinking about this song, a little ode to the fear of flying. It entered my mind becauise of a FB conversation about Stiff Records and their package tours. Stiff would schedule a concert tour with five artists that they were pushing. The artists would each do a short set, so the audience could get a taste of several performers. The second tour, in 1978, featured Wreckless Eric, Lene Lovich, Jona Lewie, Rachel Sweet and Mickey Jupp. But the last leg of the tour involved a transatlantic flight to the US -- a trip that Jupp missed. I recently learned that he missed it because he was afraid of flying.

That wouldn't really have made much of an impression on me, except that one of the songs he's known for is "You'll Never get Me Up (in One of Those)," a song which is explicitly about fear of flying. So I'm sharing it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment