Tuesday, July 7, 2020

it's tunesday! "the trio" by ennio morricone


Today's Tunesday is in memory of the late Ennio Morricone, who passed away yesterday.

Morricone is best known as one of the greatest scorers or movie soundtracks, as perhaps his best work was on the 1966 classic, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. I'm biased, of course, because that is my favorite movie. Nevertheless, I think you'd have a hard time finding a credible voice to argue that the soundtrack to tGtB&tU isn't one of the greats.*

Such is the greatness of that one soundtrack that it is, probably by a very wide margin, the most cited of Morricone's work. And a side effect is that many people may not realize the sheer volume and greatness of his other works. And yet, I will go along and share one of his pieces from that soundtrack. I have chosen "The Trio," which is the music playing as the three protagonists face off near the end of the film. One can make a strong case for other pieces -- "The Ecstasy of Gold" being chief among them. But I had to pick one. And, for better or for worse, I chose.

As I said above, tGtB&tU is my favorite movie. And the music is an absolutely integral part of it.

RIP, Ennio Morricone.

*Of course, I would say that making such an argument would disqualify a person's supposed credibility. So maybe this is just an exercise in question-begging.


2 comments:

  1. my favorite by Ennio Morricone is the soundtrack to "The Mission". I probably listened to that a hundred times before I ever saw the movie.

    ReplyDelete