Tuesday, April 4, 2017

a meaningless number

You know what annoys me way more than it should?

Statements that refer to an amount -- typically potential savings or prices as "up to <amount or percentage> or more!"

It's on my mind today because I got an advertising flyer in the mail from Liberty Mutual Insurance. They want me to switch my auto insurance. Actually, I'm happy with GEICO, thank you very much. But the following three statements appear in bold:
  • Save up to $519.52 or more a year.
  • starting with savings of up to $519.52 or more a year.
  • On average drivers save up to $519.52 or more a year
The problem is that the statements are essentially meaningless. Because the phrases "up to" and "or more" are included, it doesn't really say anything. The statements could be rewritten with $1,000. Or $10,000. Or $57,873,293.61. It would still be just as true.

I've seen this kind of thing in ads for sales -- "all prices reduced up to 50% or more!" And it always annoys me.

Maybe I need decaf


2 comments:

  1. Yeah, annoys me too.

    Also, "Our product costs three times less than theirs!" What the heck does that mean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had that discussion a bunch of times. And, just today, my sister commented about something like that.

      I believe they mean it's one third the price. But, yeah, it's just wrong. One third the price is 2/3 less. Free is 100% less. Strictly speaking, "costs three times less" means they're paying you to take it. But I don't think that's what they mean to say.

      Delete