Monday, April 3, 2017

putting the cart before the horse (addendum to the national security post)

On Saturday I posted my thoughts about a national security forum I attended with Ethan. That post is here. I realize that there was something I wanted to note but forgot to.

Someone on the panel -- I forget who, but I think it was Tom Nichols -- noted one development in policy that is very dangerous for our country. More and more, people (from all points in the political oort cloud) base their opinions about foreign policy issues on partisan considerations on how it will affect particular politicians or political parties.

Put another way, they're putting their "team" ahead of the country.

Now, I don't think Nichols (or whoever it was who made the point) was saying that people consciously think, "Gee, does this hurt or help my party? I'd better take the position that helps." But on a subconscious level, people find all sorts of rationalizations to come to the position that will help their cause. At least that's my interpretation -- maybe I'm just rationalizing so that I can agree with Nichols, a man whom I admire.

At any rate, it's problematic if people are basing decisions on what policy they support based on what politicians they like. They -- we -- should be doing the reverse.

No comments:

Post a Comment