Wednesday, March 23, 2022

two more stories

Ethan and I have now finished our second storytelling class, studying under Adam Wade at the Magnet Theater. The last one ran from the summer into the fall. I posted videos of Ethan's and my performances here.

This class was a bit different than the first. It was billed as a "solo show" class, and I didn't quite understand what it meant. Whereas the earlier class consisted of coming up with and refining stories based on prompts, this was geared around considering what one would do if one were planning to do a solo show. So we started with a premise: If you were doing solo show, and anything were possible -- cost and practicality don't matter -- what would you do. For one assignment we had to bring in soundclips to go with a story that would be part of the show. For another assignment we had to create some original artwork related to a story that would be part of the show. All of this confused me at first. I was thinking of this as another storytelling class, and I didn't understand why we were creating art, bringing in music, and doing show and tell. Eventually, I got it -- Adam was going into different things that a solo show might include, as a way of helping us visualize a solo show. I don't actually have plans to ever do a solo show, but...well, who knows?

Anyway, Ethan told us about his experience with StackUp and I told about how Ducks Deluxe become my rock and roll ground zero.



I was glad to see Ethan really getting into it -- more than I expected him to. In fact, he's into it enough that he suggested we sign up for the advanced storytelling class. I'll post about that in a month and a half or so.


2 comments:

  1. I thought you were going to say he was so into it that he's booked a theater for his solo show

    ReplyDelete