Wednesday, October 13, 2021

cinema history class: the four skulls of jonathan drake

Session: Get Some Skull, Week 1
Movie: The Four Skulls of Jonathan Drake (1959)
Directed by Edward L. Cahn


As always, there may be spoilers here. And the trailer may be NSFW and/or NSFL.

Plot:
The men of the Drake family have all died at age 60. A long-dead archaeologist and his also-dead companion want to make sure that keeps happening. Horror ensues.

Reaction and Other Folderol:
This is an interesting story, and it's well-paced. There are some good performances -- notably by Henry Daniell, who played Dr. Zurich. And, it should be noted the gore -- tame by today's standards -- was (at points) envelope pushing.

All that said, I didn't find any of the characters interesting, and it was therefore hard to really feel engaged with the story. In fact, I enjoyed myself immensely while watching the film, but I think that was more a product of the environment than the movie itself, because within a few days it had kind of left my brain. Were I to rate it now, it would fare worse than it when I rated it fresh off the viewing. 
 
Ratings
Me: 8
Bob-O: 9.5
Dave: 9.4
Christina: 8.2
Ethan: 8.5
Joe: 10

No comments:

Post a Comment