Tuesday, November 17, 2020

tunesday: "yuve yuve yu" by the hu


I first heard of The Hu about a week ago. I walked into the office and Blair was playing some music the likes of which I had never heard. The vocals were as much growling as singing, and the sound was primal and hypnotic. I stood there transfixed, and Blair said something like "I guess it's not for you."

Au contraire...

Looking them up on Youtube, I watched a few videos (my favorite was "Yuve Yuve Yu," which is the one Blair was listening to), and decided that I had to have their album, The Gereg, which came out a little over a year ago. I also posted one of the videos on Facebook, under the mistaken belief that I was introducing all my FB fiends to this wonderful new exotic thing. And I was stunned by the response. All these people I know on social media were already aware of the group, and loved them. Go figure...

One last thought... Am I the only one who reads the lyrics (the English translation, of course) and thinks they flow like Jewish liturgical prayer poems?



No comments:

Post a Comment