Tuesday, October 22, 2019

it's tunesday! ("let's just start with goodbye" by eytan mirsky)


First of all, some housekeeping: I apologize to my reader for missing Tunesday last week. Work was hella hectic and, well, I didn't blog at all during the week. I will have a similar apology tomorrow when I post for Zmedsday -- I missed that one last week, too.

In the normal course of events I try to avoid featuring the same artist or band in multiple Tunesday posts. And, back in July, I featured Eytan Mirsky's "Happiness" as a Tunesday post. That was here. That was prompted by seeing the movie, Happiness, in my cinema history class. Eytan wrote the theme song for it (and also appeared briefly as a striking worker.

But I'm going with another Eytan Mirsky song, this time "Let's Just Start with Goodbye." The occasion? I met Eytan on the subway last Saturday night. I recognized him waiting on an R train, and horrified Ethan as I approached and asked, "Excuse me, sir...are you Eytan Mirsky?" Ethan was, of course, expecting me to be asking a stranger some random question...He hates when I do things like that. I retreated, ending the conversation because I didn't want to impose on his life. But, thinking about it afterwards (and judging by his resction to my FB friend request), he would have been open to chatting longer.

Anyway, Eytan was very gracious, and we had a little chat about music and the fact that I had never met him before. I also realized that I've gotten woefully behind, and need to get more of his albums. He suggested I can listen on Spotify. And that's true, but I have a thing about wanting to buy the physical media. So I ordered a copy of Everyone's Having Fun Tonight, which is one of Eytan's CDs that I don't have. I picked it since it has "Happiness," which is the song I used for Tunesday back in July. And now this post has come full circle.

This time I went with "Let's Just Start With Goodbye," from the same album. I chose it for its bouncy opening riff that reminds me of The Fabulous Thunderbirds -- and the clever lyrical concept. I'll be buying Eytan's other albums in the foreseeable future, but I've been forcing myself out of the habit of buying a lot of CDs at once.

So it's been a good month or so for the music fan in me. Back in September I met Nick Lowe and Will Birch at a book signing (of course, that was a signing of the biography that Birch wrote about Lowe, so I knew they'd be there).

Add this to other music fan thrills (from past years):

  • First seeing a copy of the Milner Brothers' album with one of my songs on it;
  • Having Bobtown record a demo of one of my songs;
  • Having Wreckless Eric and Amy Rigby record a demo of one of my songs -- they also modified the melody and lyrics enough that I am sharing the songwriting credit with them (in case there's ever any money to be made from it, which there won't be, but still...);
  • Sharing a beer with Country Dick Montana (that was when he was still alive);
  • Keith floating the idea of my writing a song for his next film -- I have no idea if it'll end up happening, but I have my fingers crossed.
so, yeah...enjoy...




No comments:

Post a Comment