Tuesday, July 23, 2019

it's tunesday! ("happiness" by eytan mirsky)


I've got Mirsky on my mind.

Last week in my cinema history class, we saw the ironically titled Happiness. This is the title song from the movie, though the movie featured a version performed by Michael Stipe. But since Mirsky wrote it, I'm going with his rendition.

I only have one album by Eytan Mirsky (2001's Was It Something I Said). But I should change that, since I really like his music. My favorites include "Payback," "Sluts!" and "I Just Wanna Be Your Steve McQueen." I think I first found out about Mirsky because of my friend, Desmond who has always had his finger on the pulse of the zeitgeist. There's an odd mix of bravado and self-deprecating humor to his music. Oh, and really catchy hooks.

Oh, and there's also something funny about how this video was made without any sense of irony. All this naive imagery about true happiness, set to a song from a movie that's really about abject misery, loneliness and sexual frustration.

No comments:

Post a Comment