Tuesday, October 30, 2018

lids meeting -- october, 2018

LIDS held its October meeting this past weekend despite the nor'easter that kept the area damp and windy.
Woodhenge Natural

The highlight was a presentation by Margo Reed and Jim Murphy from Woodhenge Gardens in Virginia. They spoke at length about their gardens and their hybridizing program, including tidbits about what they look for in the flowers they cultivate. Of particular interest to me was the fact that Jim likes colorfast hybrids so they still have their beauty when he gets home from work.

Flying in Time
I also was interested to note that Jim said he works primarily (solely? -- I didn't catch it) with diploids. I've been under the impression that tetraploids have a fuller look and result in more interesting cultivars. But his dips looked amazingly beautiful. I'll have to understand this whole dip/tet thing better.

The  talk was followed by a mini-auction. I didn't get everything I bid on, but I was the high bidder for two plants: Woodhenge Natural and Flying in Time. I;ll be getting those ion the spring. I also won Central Park West as a door prize. I'll have to find a day with decent weather to put it in the ground.

Next month is the potluck. I have to figure out what to make.


Central Park West

No comments:

Post a Comment