Friday, October 5, 2018

one christmas party i'll be skipping

Well, this is a Monkees album I won't be buying...

Two and a half years after their last reunion album (2016's Good Times!, which the critics loved but I thought was kind of meh), they've put together a Christmas album, which is expected to be released next week on Rhino Records.

Based on the listing on Amazon, it looks like this is going to be a mix of originals and traditional Christmas songs. There's also a track called "Wonderful Christmastime," which may very well be a cover of Paul McCartney's most annoying composition. I seem to recall reading somewhere (but I don't recall for sure) that one of the songs is by Andy Partridge, of XTC. So it looks like they're trying to reproduce the formula that got them GT's critical praise. I know that's not a lot of information. And, frankly, if this were still a pre-Good Times! world, I'd be eagerly seeking out more information about this album, maybe looking for Youtube videos or tweets in case there are people with information.

But fuck them.

Two years ago they put out an album. Then they put out a deluxe edition with two extra tracks -- barely a week later. That cynical ploy to get their big fans to buy two copies of the album in short succession annoyed me more than it should have. ANd I'm not going back to the well.

No comments:

Post a Comment