Monday, August 20, 2018

defensive driving boredom

I devoted more than six hours this weekend to taking an online defensive driving course. Yeah, it's my triennial ritual. For those who are unfamiliar, in New York you can get 10% off on your auto insurance if you take the course. Once you take the course, the discount applies for three years. I know that other states have similar programs.

I took the one offered by American Safety Council. There are others. I chose that one because, well, because. As expected, it was an exercise in excruciating boredom. But I assume that's true of the other available classes, but I can't say for sure, since I didn't take the others. Ah, hell, who am I kidding? I'm sure the others are also terribly boring.


What I'd really like to know is whether these classes actually improve highway safety -- and how much. I suppose there's some positive effect, since I know that I am more conscious of some highway safety issues for some amount of time after I take that class. But I doubt that the classes improve safety enough to actuarially justify a 10% discount. If they did, then the insurance companies would, of their own volition, give the discount for taking the class; there'd be no need for the DMV to require it.

A couple other observations:
  • The ASC needs to improve their biometric confirmation system. Before the class begins, you have to call in and read a bunch of numbers from which they create some kind of voice profile. Then, while taking the class, you will occasionally be told to call a phone number and read more numbers. Their system uses that to confirm that it's really you taking the class.The first three times I went through it, after I read the numbers, a recording informed me that I had failed the biometric screening. But it continued as if all was well. The fourth time I failed the screening, I was locked out of the class and had to call to talk to a real person to get unlocked. This raises a question: Those first three times that it said I failed, did I actually fail (which means there's a four strikes rule), or is there a glitch in their software that makes it sometimes say you failed when you passed? I say sometimes because there were a couple times that it said I passed.
  • Whoever put the thing together got sloppy. The narrator's voice was, almost always, reading the words that were on the screen. But I noticed a couple places that there was a URL displayed, but the narrator read off something different. Also, there were a couple words (chassis and susceptible) that were consistently mispronounced.
  • I am in no hurry for the next three years to go by. I don't look forward to taking this again.

2 comments:

  1. May I make what, at first, may seem an odd or inconvenient suggestion, but goes a long way toward minimizing the boredom associated with Defensive Driving courses.

    Esther and I have done it for many years – but we have always gone to the class in person! I cannot imagine the utter boredom (let alone the additional distractions) of taking such a course online.

    Yeah, it’s the same old stuff – but you can interact with the instructor, or kid around or otherwise comment and converse with the persons around you. This does a lot toward your comprehension… and keeping yourself awake.

    Even when I worked very long and hard Monday-Friday, we still did this on Saturday mornings or afternoons. Oddly, it was a welcome break from routine, and we’d always have a nice lunch or dinner out, once it was over – making a nice day of it, rather than a long and boring ordeal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting perspective on it. Yes, the classroom version is probably more interesting -- it's been many years since I did the class in a classroom.

      But, despite it being more interesting, the in-person version has two important drawbacks:
      1) You have to take it on their schedule; and
      2) It costs more.

      So, while I like the idea of looking on the bright side and making a day of it, I won't be doing that anytime soon.

      Delete