Monday, August 13, 2018

stupid rules yield stupid outcomes

I heard at work about two interesting things that happened in minor league baseball. You can read details about the events here.

But first, some background. This year some of the minor leagues instituted a stupid rule that extra innings begin with a runner on second base. That has allowed for some previously-impossible occurences.

Retiring the side on two pitches
In a game between the Rome Braves and the West Virginia Power, Rome's Hayden Deal retired West Virginia on two pitches. The first pitch resulted in a line drive double play. The second pitch was also hit for a line drive out. Here it is.

Pitching a perfect game and losing
The Tampa Tarpons pitched a perfect game against the Clearwater Threshers and lost. Their pitchers didn't allow a baserunner, but the runner who started on second base came around to score.

Now, at the risk of playing devil's advocate, I don't know for sure if this counts as a perfect game. Did the powers that be ever sit down and decide, given the rules change, what constitutes a perfect game? The classic definition is that no one gets on base. Here, the runner didn't "get" on base through play. He was placed on base to start an inning. That said, he managed to advance, and it seems to me that, by definition, a perfect game entails not letting the runner advance. But I don't make the definitions, and I have heard the event referred to as a perfect game -- even if the article I linked above didn;t call it one.

2 comments:

  1. That is a ridiculous rule designed to cater to our ever-growing short-attention-span population! It's NOT baseball!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe,
      I tend to agree. I assume the title of the post telegraphed my feelings about the rule. But, then again, I still haven't gotten over the DH rule.

      Years ago I wrote an article in which I -- with tongue planted fitmly in cheek -- suggested various rules changes to make the game more exciting. It was for some Queens College publication -- I don't remember which. If I ever come across it, maybe I'll post it here.

      At any rate, it's not just that the population has a shorter attention span. Games really have gotten longer. There are several reasons that have been noted, so I won't bother discussing why it's the case. The fact is that, by the time extra innings roll around, the audience has been in the stadium longer than they had been at the same point in a game played decades ago. WHich is not to say that I approve of this latest abomination of a rule.

      Delete