Sunday, June 3, 2018

maybe joe has a point

Reading about Roseanne Barr's offensive tweets and the ensuing hoo-hah reminded me of some of the discussions we've had in my cinema history class.


Joe, from the class, is a big collector of DVDs and CDs. He loves video entertainment, and wants to watch what he wants to watch when he wants to watch it. By comparison, I don't have a large collection of videos on physical media. With the wide range of material available on the various streaming services, I'm more or less willing to settle with watching what I can. I want to see some old episodes of Big Bang Theory, but can't find it on Amazon Prime or Netflix? Whatever...I'll watch something else instead.

Joe's big thing, of course, is that if you own a copy of a particular movie or TV show then you're at the mercy of the streaming services; they can decide at any time that they won't be showing something anymore. Or that they'll only show a modified version.* I get the point. And the truth is we don't really argue about it. We're both aware that video entertainment is more important to Joe than it is to me, and that difference drives the differences in our behavior.

So, after Barr made the headlines, and it came out that her TV show had been removed from the rerun lineups and from all streaming services, I thought of Joe's perspective and wondered if that was a show he liked. Further, I wondered if, assuming it was a show he liked, he had it on disc.

A few hours later I got an email from him, addressing that very issue. As if he had read my mind, he put the show's removal in the context of our conversations. He noted that he had seen a few episodes of the old show and liked it. In fact, he had recently bought a DVD set of the series' entire run (it was on sale at Wal-Mart and he couldn't resist).

I read the email and chuckled to myself.

*Star Trek, I'm talking about you.

No comments:

Post a Comment