Sunday, June 10, 2018

ben's best: i go out on top

As I mentioned in my prior post, Ben's Best is closing at the end of the month. Much sadness. We felt we had to have one last dinner out there. And we wanted to have it sooner rather than later, on the theory that they'd start running out of stuff.*

The big decision for me was to try the Big Ben's challenge. Like other restaurant challenges, it's an exercise in gluttony. With BB's challenge, it's a sandwich with a pound of deli meat, french fries, cole slaw, pickles, matzoh ball soup and a soda. For years they've had the challenge available. I've thought about taking it up, but I'm generally not into restaurant challenges. I like to eat food because it's food I want to eat, rather than just eating it to prove that I can.

But this would probably be my last chance, so what the hell.

It was actually easier to eat the entire meal than I expected, and I was able to add a slice of seven layer cake for dessert.

UNlike other restaurant challenges, this one isn't free for those who complete it. But I do have my souvenir soup mug, and my name is up on their wall of fame. Also, at the end of the month I'll be enterred in a drawing for a $100 gift certificate...which I believe will be worthless after the month ends. So, it was really about the pride.

It's possible that I'll be back at BB. But in some ways it seems poetic to go out winnin
g their challenge.

*When I spoke to Jay Parker later, he told me that he is not going to limp out. They'll keep getting stuff and have the full menu until the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment