Sunday, January 29, 2017

the cat came back

Back home: Red
Well, he didn't really come back so much as we went to get him.

When Sharon asked me to work with her to make "lost cat" posters and put them up, I wasn't particularly enthusiastic. Two of our cats had gone missing -- one (Wiglaf) last spring and one (Red) last fall. And I felt bad about it, but I'm not big on putting up lost pet posters. I mean, can they really work? Actually, we tried putting up posters for Wiglaf last Spring. The only bite was a neighborhood woman who was feeding strays and though Wiglaf might be one of them. We never got close enough to the maybe-Wiglaf to be certain (which I take as evidence that it wasn't him). At any rate, even if lost pet posters can work, I figured that there was no way that, after this long, we'd have any luck. Oh, yeah, I should mention that a neighbor had mentioned putting poison bait in their yard to kill raccoons (who were interfering with their attempt at getting sod to take root. So there was plenty of reason for skepticism.
Still AWOL: Wiglaf

But Sharon really missed the cats and wanted to try posters again. Maybe a reward would help, she guessed. And, though I didn;t expect any success from the venture, I didn't want to give Sharon the idea that her feelings don;t matter. So this afternoon I went out with her, putting up posters. They had beautiful pictures of Red and Wiglaf, and an offer of a reward.

I promised Sharon that, if she wanted, we could put up more posters next weekend.


Back at home, we were getting on with our afternoon, when Sharon burst into the office -- someone was on the phone. He has Wiglaf. Blair spoke to him, and the next thing I knew we were on our way to a house about a block and a half away. All five of us, a ragged but hopeful band hoping for a reunion. Ethan, though hopeful, was still feeling bad; they may have Wiglaf, but no Red.

We went into the house. It took me a couple extra seconds to grasp what was going on, but there was Red, strolling around the basement like he owned the place. Ethan whisked him up into his arms, and held him tightly. Red was burying his face in Ethan's neck. At this point, I still don;t know if the guy who called had told Sharon the wrong name (the poster had two pictures and two names, but didn't specify which was which) or if Sharon was just assuming it was Wiglaf.

Apparently Red showed up at their house a while back looking sick and emaciated, and he needed a bunch of medical treatment -- worms, fleas, I'm not sure what else. So there was a bit of a veterinary bill to reimburse them for. But I have to admit that he is looking well-cared for and well-groomed. Ethan noticed that he has a couple of ingrown claws, but he can take care of that.

Red and Sharon's cat, Cream, have gotten reacquainted, and appear quite happy to be together again. Asher's cat,18, has his nose out of joint, and has been hissing. I'm not sure why, since I can't imagine he's forgotten Red. It may be that he's been enjoying his role as alpha kitty, and doesn;t want to relinquish it to Red. We'll have to let them sort it out together.

Meanwhile, if only someone would call about Wiglaf...


No comments:

Post a Comment