Sunday, January 1, 2017

cinema history class: the private life of sherlock holmes

I've put this off for a few weeks, since I haven't really known what to say about The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes, the last film Keith showed in our cinema history class before winter break. But at this point I've waited too long, so I'll just write whatever comes out of my fingertips.
The odd thing about this movie is that it was sort of two movies in one. There was a half hour of gay (or is he just acting) Sherlock Holmes turning down an indecent proposal, followed by an hour and a half of more traditional Sherlock Holmes on a case. I didn't realize until afterwards how little the two parts of the movie interrelated. In fact, Dave showed up as the movie was transitioning between them and didn't really miss anything important.

There was some strong disagreement within the class about which was better. By "there was some disagreement" I mean I disagreed with the rest of the class. Joe, who's a traditionalist when it comes to these things preferred the "second" movie. In many ways it's like a typical Sherlock Holmes movie, though there is a twist. I preferred the first part, which didn't have a mystery as such, and played like a comedy.

Keith said that this difference made sense to him because Joe is a traditionalist and I'm into the nontraditional and gay stuff. He pointed out that, for the first BYOM session, I chose to show The Rocky Horror Picture Show, which has some gay-themed elements.

Once Keith pointed that out, it all made sense to the class, and it was decided that I must be gay. Well, that would explain some things.

1 comment: