Monday, June 13, 2016

my house, the tv star

My house is a star! Well, an extra anyway.

It appeared very briefly in the fourth episode of the first season of The Americans. It's visible in this teaser for the episode (assuming you don't blink at the wrong moment):


At 19 seconds in, there's a scene at night, with a policeman shining a flashlight at Elizabeth. There's a brick colonial house in the background. That's my house.

Now, with a moment like that, I realize you really have to know tpo look for it, or there's no way you'll notice it. And I acknowledge that I knew to look for it. Because I saw the full episode. I'd already known that the show does a lot of its filming in Queens (despite being set in and around Washington, DC. That became apparent to me early on, as I recognized the style of street signs, elevated subway lines, Forest Park, etc. Then I got confirmation somewhere on the intertubes. Maybe it was Wikipedia. I forget exactly where.

But watching episode 4 I noticed that they had filmed an exterior scene down the block from me. There's a scene where Phillip and Elizabeth go to a hospital staffer's home, posing as staff from Vice President Bush' office. I easily recognized where that was from. And in a couple shots I could see the hill of my front yard, the front of what was my car when the scene was shot, the house across the street from me, But not really my house, since I live on a corner, and my house is set back a bit farther than the house next to it (which was fully visible).

So, how do I parlay that into getting listed on IMDB?

No comments:

Post a Comment