Tuesday, January 5, 2021

happy tunesday! (baby's liquored up)


I was originally going to post this for Tunesday last week, but it got bumped for a timely post related to Eytan Mirsky. That post was here. There are YouTube videos of the Beat Farmers' studio version of this, and the vocals on those are easier to make out. But I don't think they capture the true spirit of one of music's great live bands.

Anyway, the Beat Farmers have been on my mind because I recently bought a DVD of Pay Up Cheaters! which is a documentary about the Beat Farmers. Also, I ended up putting together a cowpunk sampler disc for a friend, and the Beat Farmers are cowpunk ground zero for me.

One of my favorite concert experiences was at a Beat Farmers show in the early 1990s. It was at the Lone Star Roadhouse in Manhattan. Before the show I saw Country Dick (the guy singing lead in the video above) sitting at a table talking to someone. I approached, just to tell him how much I appreciated his music. His reaction? He looked me in the eye and said "start drinking." So I took a big gulp from his beer. Yes, that was pretty stupid of me. But he reacted with a deep hearty laugh.

Country Dick was one of a kind.


No comments:

Post a Comment