Thursday, January 21, 2021

the pastrami shirt

First, a shameless plug. You can go to Sharon's Zazzle store to buy the shirts discussed here.

A couple years ago -- I'm not sure how many -- I asked Sharon if she could draw a pastrami sandwich for us to make pastrami-themed T-shirts. I had ideas for what the shirts should say, but lacked the artistic skills to create the shirts that my mind was envisioning.

It took a long time to get things going.

Sharon was interested in the challenge, but it was hard for me to explain what was in my head as the iconic pastrami sandwich picture. It had to be an overstuffed sandwich on rye bread. Cut in half, with both halves facing the viewer. And the top slice of bread has to be sort of arched because of the meat below it. It was really hard to convey what was in my brain. Eventually, we started googling "pastrami sandwich" and we found some pictures that looked pretty close. But Sharon was having trouble drawing a sandwich that she felt was good enough. I thought several of her pictures were plenty fine, but she was unhappy with them.

Eventually, I asked if she could take an actual picture and use software tools to turn it into a drawing. She liked that idea. But then there was another issue. It didn't seem like a good idea to start with someone else's picture and use it for a T-shirt design that she would sell. Even if she digitally altered the picture, it seemed to me that this would present an ethical problem, and probably a legal one as well. Admittedly, it seemed like a remote possibility that it would cause us problems. But, still...

Fortunately, I hit on a better idea. We could buy a pastrami sandwich at Sarge's and take pictures of it. Then she could work with the pictures. No copyright issue. No concern ethics. Of course, someone would have to eat the sandwich, but that was a sacrifice I was willing to make.

Even with all that, it took a while before everything was done. This wasn't exactly Sharon's top priority. She's a teenage girl who's into drawing animals. I don't really believe she was greatly enthused about drawing deli meats for her middle-aged father. But she did it eventually. I think one thing that helped encourage her was when her friend started selling mugs online with one of her drawings. It wasn't pastrami -- it was a drog. I guess it helped when she saw how easy it is.

So now she has her Zazzle store with three different pastrami T-shirts. And one drog. Next I'll see if I can get her to add T-shirts with math jokes on them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment