Thursday, March 12, 2020

two thoughts about a wonderful life

Ethan and I just watched It's a Wonderful Life. Long story.

Ethan had never seen it, and I have never liked it. But I have two thoughts about the movie that had never occurred to me before. Both of these concern events that occur during the time, near the end, when George is experiencing the world as it would be if he had never been born.


  • Ernie, the taxi driver, takes George to the house that he knows as his home, but of course it's abandoned. He approaches the house and, dazed and confused, tries to make sense of its dilapidated state. Ernie shines a floodlight on him. He appears to shield his eyes in a way that reminds me of The Family in The Omega Man. Of course, it helps that I just watched that movie last night so it's still on my mind.
  • The cop is named Bert. The cabbie is named Ernie. And as a hysterical George leaves the run-down house, he exclaims "Bert, Ernie, what's the matter with you two guys?" I saw that and couldn;t help but wonder if the Sesame Street characters were named Bert and Ernie as an homage to this movie.
I liked the alternate ending better...

No comments:

Post a Comment