Monday, March 30, 2020

now we're in a doc


Just over a week ago I posted about the movie Being, since I can be seen in it. If you know when to look. If you know where to look. If you don't blink.

Well, now it's Ethan's turn. And, to a lesser degree, Asher's turn. And even my turn again. Anthony Desiato, a long-time comic book afficianado who cherishes the time he spent working at a comic book shop in Westchester, has directed a documentary called My Comic Shop Nation. At various times, Ethan, Asher and I are visible onscreen, though sadly none of us talk onscreen. I have included screenshots at the end of this post.

The documentary is, generally, about comic book shops -- how they are similar, how they are different, what makes them tick. It seems to be a kind of celluloid therapy for Desiato. He used to work at Alternate Realities in Westchester until it closed. He clearly misses that shop and the social scene is represented. To make the documentary, he traveled the country, visiting 20 shops and interviewing the owners, staff and customers.

The boys and I ended up in the doc because we were at Escape Pod Comics in Huntington. It was one of the featured shops, and owner, Menachem Luchins, spent some time talking about his business on camera.

I was most interested in hearing what Menachem had to say, since my family are customers of his. It's fascinating to hear him talk about getting to know the customers and what they like and don't like. It was interesting to hear him describe in words the kind of customer service that I've seen so much of. My family and I only go to his shop a few times a year, but he every time we come in he has recommendations for us. And he's usually spot on. What's also nice is being able to wander the store and ask him about anything that catches my eye. He'll take time to describe plots and styles, and opine as to whether he thinks I (or any other specific member of the family) would like something.

But aside from my personal interest in Menachem's shop, I think that Desiato has spun together a really compelling picture of a niche industry that's struggling in the age of mass-marketing and internet buying.

And, before I get to the screen shots from the film, I note that, in Ethan and I are each visible for a fraction of a second in the trailer, which is embedded above.

Now can I get listed on IMDB?

The screenshots:

Ethan listens to Menachem:

Ethan and Asher are visible in the lower left corner:


 Ethan is getting something from Menachem, as I can be seen in the background:

I listen to Menachem:

I listen to Menachem, while Ethan and Asher are also visible:

No comments:

Post a Comment