Tuesday, November 19, 2019

happy tunesday! ("gettysburg" by the brandos)


Today is the 156th Anniversary of the Gettysburg Address. So, in honor, here are the Brandos singing Gettysburg.

I'm not what you would call a huge Brandos fan. I don't have any of their albums on CD -- in fact, I don't have any idea how many albums they recorded. I'm sure I could look it up now. There are ways of finding out such things on the Intertubes. But that's not the point.

So, yeah...I'm not a huge fan of theirs, but I do like what music of theirs that I do know -- which is, basically, some of the tracks from their album, Honor Among Thieves. I got a review copy when I was in grad school doing record reviews for The Michigan Daily.

They did some solid rock and roll with a slight country flavor. Not enough for me to think of them as cowpunk, but enough that it couldn't be denied. And it made a strong enough positive impression that, decades later, I can remember the refrains from several songs -- "Strychnine," "A Matter of Survival," "Nothing to Fear." So I guess I did like them. But not enough to have felt a compelling need to buy their CDs.

Take it for what it's worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment