Tuesday, November 12, 2019

congrats to the expos on their first world series

The nationals have won the first World Series in the franchise's history. But, since the franchise has been around for 51 seasons (50 of which had a World Series), during which there have been between 24 and 30 teams, their fair share of World Series wins would be 1.8249.* So, with one win, the Nationals have won 54.80% of their fair share.

Of course, the Yankees, with 27 wins have 4.6608 times as many wins as their fare share -- by far the largest ratio of wins to fair share. It pains me to note that the Mets have won less than their fair share -- they have two wins and their fair share is 2.1749. Relatedly, it pains me to note that it has been longer since their last win than they had been in existence when that occurred. In other words, both of their wins happened during what is now the first half of their existence.

The spreadsheet in which I assembled this is here. I should say here that I have been having trouble wrangling Dropbox. If you try to follow this link, please let me know if it works. If it doesn't, I'll try to fix it.

*I define a team's fair share as the sum (over all seasons the team existed and their was a Wold Series) of 1/n where n is the number of teams during that season. Put in planer English, it's the number of World Series wins a team would have if, instead of being won on the field, all World Series wins were evenly split among the teams in existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment