Thursday, November 15, 2018

scare...over!

At work my company provides monetary incentives to engage in health-related activities. We're not talking about get rich money, but enough that I don't want to leave it on the table. So I document exercises. And I document the screening my dentist performs. And I get a skin cancer screening in the office. Which is where this adventure begins.

I made an appointment to have a skin cancer screening in the office, performed by the dermatologist the company contracts for the purpose. I could, of course, go to my regular dermatologist, but that's less convenient and more expensive (the office screening is free from my perspective). I expected the usual result -- everything is fine. But this time the doctor found something that concerned her -- a small mole on right buttock. It wasn't big, but the color was uneven. "I would get this biopsied," she declared.

She offered to make an appointment at her office (which is near work), but I demured, explaining that my family already has a dermatologist we trust and have a relationship with. So I made an appointment with my regular dermatologist and had him look at the mole. He opined that it was probably fine, but since the color is uneven it makes sense to err on the safe side and biopsy it.

For some reason I was much more nervous in the week before I got the results than I had been between the original screening and the visit to my doctor.

A week later, he called with the results -- it was just a congenital mole I'd had since birth. B"H.



The only question: Is there any need to contact the dermatologist who did the original screening? Just to let her know the outcome?

1 comment: