Monday, November 5, 2018

cinema history class: the horrible dr. hitchcock

Session: Italian Gothic Horror Month, Week 1
Movie 2: The Horrible Dr. Hitchcock (1962)
Directed by Riccardo Freda


As always, there may be spoilers here. And the trailer may be NSFW and/or NSFL

Plot:
Some things happen involving a coffin and some other stuff, but I don't know what, since I didn't see it. Hilarity ensues.

Reaction:
I had to miss this class because of work. Still, I am posting this for the sake of completeness.

There was clearly a split opinion, with the class' older members rating the film much higher than the youngsters who seemed largely unimpressed.. It's hard to say where I would have stood -- In age, I am closer to the older class members. But, as far as sensibilities go, I am definitely not of the same mind as Joe and Dave.

Ethan told me that the guys expressed some surprise that he didn;t rate this higher, seeing as it was very gothic. His answer is that he likes a movie to have some gothic elements, but he doesn;t want it to be full on gothic. It'll be interesting to see his reactions to other films in this session; will that description of his taste be borne out?

Ratings:
Dave: 10
Ethan: 6
Joe: 10
Sean: 2 out of 4

1 comment:

  1. The subject matter was Necrophilia, something Ethan likes to joke about BUT when it comes to cinematic interpretations, he doesn't like at all. Two of the best films on this subject, this film and Tomb of Ligeia, Ethan didn't like either. Both films were too close for comfort.....

    ReplyDelete