Friday, May 4, 2018

recycling a songtitle

This morning I was reminded of something I hadn't thought of in years.

Back in high school, during my first wave of songwriting, one of the songs I wrote* was called "Mercy of the Wind." I had started with the title -- probably because I heard it and thought it would make a great title for a song. I still think it's a great title for a song. Problem is that the song I wrote sucked. It was (yet another) pathetic song about teenage angst and lack of confidence in romance. In this case, the specific case was about whether and longing to exit the friendzone.



I don't remember the whole thing anymore, which is just as well. The chorus is illustrative:
You can open your heart and hope for a startYou'd be submitting to her powersBut is that such a sin?To be vulnerable like flowersAt the mercy of the wind.
I also remember the first verse and a couplet or two from later in the song, but I won't inflict them on my reader.

So now my new task is to recycle the title. Fresh start. I think it'll be a much darker song this time. Probably in the same realm as "Never Kill a Man Twice."

*To be completely accurate, only wrote the lyrics -- a friend set it to music. But for the sake of the prose it's easier to simply say I wrote it

No comments:

Post a Comment