Friday, May 11, 2018

overwatch -- sharon wins

Sharon has been playing videogames for quite a while now. And she's good at it. Not world champion, sit and play for 48 hours straight, good. But good.

I think I first realized that when Sharon started playing MineCraft competitively. In fact, that was the topic of the first post I wrote for this blog. That post is here. Sharon and her friends did pretty well. Of course, she has since lost interest in Minecraft.* Right now her favorite seems to be Overwatch.

I'd be lying if I said I understood Overwatch -- sometimes I watch her and Asher play, and it just seems like a whole lot of flashing blinky lights and stuff. But apparently there is order to the chaos.

Last night, while Ethan and I were at Keith's watching a giallo, Sharon was at the Microsoft store in midtown Manhattan in an Overwatch tournament run by FlashOPs. She had played a week ago, and came in third. In that tournament, she and her friend Yunhee were teamed with a kid they didn't know,** and he was the weak link. But in last night's tournament, they teamed with their friend, Raghu, who's a notch or two better than they are. I keep hearing that he has platinum status -- whatever that means. So this time, they beat the Spicy Boiz who had won the week before.


*Someone hacked her account and changed her user name from KittyCream08 (or something similar) to GasThemJews (or something similar. She tried to change her name back, but Mojang wouldn't let her -- they had some kind of rules about the frequency of name changes. THat kind of soured her on it.

**The tournament requires teams of three. If you show up as a team of three that's fine. But if not, they start grouping people to make teams of three.

No comments:

Post a Comment