Tuesday, September 19, 2017

the honeymoon killers (cinema history class)

Session: Cinematic Serial Killers, week 2
Movie: The Honeymoon Killers (1970)
Directed by Leonard Kastle
As always, there may be spoilers here. And the trailer may be NSFW and/or NSFL

Plot:

A con man marries women to cheat them out of their money. But his true love is jealous. Hilarity ensues.

Background and Reaction:

I went into this with somewhat low expectations, though I'm not exactly sure why. But it was really quite good. Since it was low budget, and shot in documentary style, it reminded me of Pink Flamingos, though it wasn't obscenity-driven the way that was. In addition to similar production values as PF, though this had better values, Shirley Stoler seemed in many ways like a female Divine. Of course, when she's in the lake screaming "you promised!" she reminded me more of Edith Massey as the Edie (the egg lady).

I kept finding myself trying to figure out what was going to happen -- is this woman playing them? will they get caught now? And that's often a good sign, since it means I've engaged with the movie. The acting was generally subpar, but that didn't really deter my appreciation.

This is really a hidden gem.

Ratings:
Christina: 9
Dave: 9.2-9.3
Scott: 8
Ethan: 7
Sean: 2 (out of 4)
Me: 9.25

Bechdel:

The Honeymoon Killers passes the Bechdel test.

Pittsburgh Reference:
At some point one of the characters asked "where will we go?" I suggested Pittsburgh.

No comments:

Post a Comment