Sunday, September 17, 2017

lids barbecue 2017

I think my favorite events in the LIDS calendar is the annual barbecue. It's the only time we get together without any real agenda other than relaxing and schmoozing. OK, and eating. Mustn't forget eating. For the second year in a row, the barbecue was hosted by club President, Chris Petersen, at her place by the waters of Long Island Sound. As always, it was a really good relaxing day.
Gene and Paul auction daylilies

One twist this year was that we had a mini-auction of daylilies donated by Rich Howard. Howard, who runs CT Daylily, had spoken at LIDS' annual luncheon this summer. It was there that I bid (successfully) for Bedhead, which is one of Howard's 2017 introductions. At this auction, I was planning not to bid. But, of course, I couldn't help myself and ended up with Snaggle Tooth and Ducks on Stilts. The money is going to help fund the regional meeting that LIDS will be hosting in 2019. As I wrote here, I have expressed interest in helping to put the meeting together. So, if buying daylilies at auction gets us closer, well, all the better.

The food was wonderful. I'm a sucker for hamburgers and hot dogs off the grill. And the desserts in what seemed like a never-ending succession were great too.

As always, I managed to get a few gardening tips. Bob Stanton and Frank Chaloupecky both advised me on my incipient hybridizing program. For the record, I have some seeds (I hope they're viable) in wet paper towel in the refrigerator in the basement, and Bob and Frank helped advise as to when I should try planting them. Chris, for her part, explained (and demonstrated) the concept of pinching back coleus to make it grow more full. I'll need to try that.

Everyone seemed to be having a good time, and hated to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment