Saturday, September 9, 2017

out-smart-alecked

Ethan was sharing random facts about Presidents, and mentioned that James Buchanan was the only President who never married. He then noted that Grover Cleveland was the only other one who was a bachelor when he entered the White House*

Trying to be clever, I noted that that means we had three presidents who were bachelors when they became president. I was, of course, hanging my hat on the fact that Grover Cleveland was two presidents (numbers number 22 and 24).

Ethan got a puzzled look. Then he realized what I was on about -- he's seen me make similar points -- and got an annoyed look on his face. I was feeling pretty smug.

Then Ethan pointed out that Cleveland was married by the time of his second election.

He beat me at my own game...

*There were others who were widowers, but that's another matter.

1 comment: