Thursday, November 24, 2016

a friend tells me his wife's thanksgiving tradition

When I was growing up, I attended an orthodox yeshiva. Not a black hatter type place, but Orthodox. There were a bunch of nonorthodox families whose kids went there. Every year the question would come up: Is it OK for Jews to celebrate Thanksgiving.

It seems like an odd question. But we were taught not to celebrate other religions' religious holidays. Thanksgiving isn't another religion's holiday, but it's not a Jewish holiday either. The answer was generally along the lines of "What could be better than devoting a day to being thankful.

But in some more religious circles, they don't make a big deal of Thanksgiving. It's not so much that they are against it, as that they don't do it. I suspect part of it may be that it's Thursday night. Since many Orthodox families have a big dinner on Friday night for the Sabbath. Having two nights of big meals in a row may be a bit much.

For some reason, I was curious about what my Orthodox colleagues do. So I asked one of them by IM. Here's how the exchange went:
 Me: Does your family celebrate Thanksgiving?

Colleague: Every day.

Me: Touche.

Colleague: Seriously. The first words out of our mouths when our eyes open in the morning are "Modeh ani."* Later we say Psalm 100**, as well as the Modim*** blessing three times a day. Every day. Brochos**** before and after eating -- every single meal.

Me: Yes. I understand. Does your family do anything special on the last***** Thursday of  November that many people in the US would associate with the national holiday, "Thanksgiving"?

Colleague: Turkey and extended family get together -- no, although I have done so in my life. But my wife attends communal gatherings at the mall the next day.



*"I give thanks"
** The Psalm of Gratitude
*** a specifc prayer of gratitude that's part of the thrice-daily prayers
**** prayers. In this case, he is referring to the simple prayer of thanks before the meal and the longer Grace after meals.
***** Yeah, you got me. I should have said "fourth Thursday"

No comments:

Post a Comment