Saturday, August 13, 2016

film class: thinking ahead to next year's choice

Now that my cinema ,history class has finished its Bring Your Own Movie session, I turn my attention toward what to bring next year. Right now, I am considering six possibilities. That number may go up or down, depending on how my thoughts proceed.

1) Head (1968)

This was The Monkees' first (and only) theatrical release. Head doesn't really have a single plot, as it meanders between several story lines all in service of the group's combination apology and confession. There's some great music (notably "Circle Sky"), and a lot of notable cameos, including Annette Funicello, Victor Mature and Teri Garr.

I've loved this film since first seeing it (at the Thalia, when I was in high school, with a girl named Sara). I think it still holds up well, although it's really not for everybody.This would represent some good continuity for me, since my picks for the first two BYOM sessions were both musicals.

On the downside, it's a bit of a stretch to call this appropriate for a horror film class. Keith, who runs the class, did note that it's largely fantasy and therefore works. On the other hand, Joe said (after Shock Treatment) that he likes to be told a story. It doesn't have to be a great story, but he wants a story. I suspect that Head would not meet with his approval. Head would probably be my first choice, except for the nagging feeling that it's just not appropriate for the class.

There is one other consideration: I'm still pissed off at the Monkees for the way they released their new album this year and then, less than a week later, released a "deluxe edition" with bonus tracks. That being the case, do I really want to support them?

2) I Am A Ghost (2012)

A good ghost story. I Am a Ghost was written and directed by HP Mendoza who was, at the time, a friend of mine. I saw this at an Asian film festival four years ago, and loved it. But the fact that I'm no longer friends with the director has kind of dampened my enthusiasm, Still, it's appropriate for the class and not really like any other film we've seen together. Joe might object that it's weak on plot.

3) Audrey Rose (1977)

The only movie on this list that I haven't actually seen, Audrey Rose was a reincarnation thriller. While I never saw the movie, I read the book when I was in high school (or was it junior high?) and absolutely loved it. I remember being riveted. I would catch myself believing that reincarnation must be real because there was no other plausible explanation for the events, and have to remind myself that it's just a novel. Of course, having never seen the movie, I can't say whether it was any good, and I've heard that it wasn't.

4) Earthquake (1974)

The big one hits LA. Earthquake was part of a wave of disaster movies from the 1970s. Others that come to mind are The Towering Inferno, The Poseidon Adventure and Tidal Wave. But this stands out because I saw it in a theatre with my mom and sister. It was, in fact, the first horror movie I saw. And it was in "Sensoround." And it scared me. A lot. It actually got me reading up on earthquakes and I determined never to go to California. Spoiler alert: I changed my mind.

5) Jaws (1975)

Jaws was the second horror movie I ever saw. And it scared me to the point that I couldn;t be comfortable in the water for years. And when I say "in the water, I don;t just mean at the beach. Lakes, swimming pools, bathtubs...it was all the same. I couldn't help the haunting feeling that there was a giant shark just inches from my feet. Even as late as two years ago, I was snorkeling in the Sea of Cortez, and couldn;t shake that eerie feeling. I was so spooked that I cut my swim short.

6) The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974)

I was a huge railfan in my youth. In high school, For years, my bedroom was arranged like a museum exhibit of subway memorabilia. I was on the staff of my high school's subway magazine (yes, we had one -- it was called The Straphanger). And I read John Godey's The Taking of Pelham One Two Three many times. For years, I'd seen parts of this movie, but not the whole thing. Basically, if I was flipping through stations on a Saturday afternoon, I'd find that it was on Channel 5 and watch the rest. It wasn't until years later that I saw the whole thing. On the internet. I don't remember what website. Just to be clear, in case it isn't already, we're talking about the original movie, not one of the inferior remakes.

It may be a little bit of a stretch to include this in the class, since it's not really a horror movie so much as a crime drama. But it's probably close enough that I can get away with it.

1 comment: