The session: Bring Your Own Movie Month
The annual session whe5re everyone in the class takes a turn presenting a favored movie
Week 2 (my choice): Class of 1984 (1982)
Directed by Mark Lester
My Level of Prior Knowledge:
I've seen it several times.
Plot Synopsis:
An idealistic music teacher takes a job at a crime-ridden high school and clashes with a violent student gang. As the gang's campaign of intimidation escalates, the conflict becomes increasingly personal, leading to a brutal final showdown.
Reaction and Other Folderol:
Since this was my entry for Bring Your Own Movie Month, I was especially interested in seeing how the movie held up after not having watched it in quite a while. The answer, I think, is...not quite as well as I'd remembered.
That's not to say I didn't enjoy it. I did. It's still an entertaining movie. But it also left me wondering why I instinctively separate "good movie" from "entertaining movie." If the primary purpose of a movie is to entertain, shouldn't succeeding at that be enough? I don't have a good answer, but somehow I still came away thinking that Class of 1984 is a fun watch without necessarily being a good film.
Keith observed that the acting was all over the map, and I think that's right. There are moments that really work. Timothy Van Patten's bathroom scene, where Peter Stegman brutally beats himself up to frame Mr. Norris, is remarkably convincing. Roddy McDowall is mesmerizing as the increasingly unhinged biology teacher, although he was such a gifted actor that I suspect he could have turned in that performance on autopilot. On the other hand, Merrie Lynn Ross never quite convinced me in her role, and some of the emotional scenes just didn't land.
It's also fun to see Michael J. Fox—still billed as "Michael Fox"—in one of his earliest film roles. He doesn't have much to do, but he's immediately likable, and it's easy to see why bigger opportunities soon followed.
Some sequences haven't aged particularly well. The gang fight beneath the highway, with everyone swinging chains and clubs while somehow forgetting that guns and knives exist, felt more than a little contrived.
The ending is especially odd. I did appreciate the final ironic title card explaining that Mr. Norris was never prosecuted because there were no witnesses—a neat callback to one of the movie's central frustrations, namely that the authorities were powerless because nobody would testify against the student gang. It's presented as a triumphant ending, but it's hard to ignore that Mrs. Norris has suffered an unimaginably traumatic ordeal and will almost certainly be dealing with those scars for the rest of her life. The movie seems eager to declare victory while quietly stepping around that reality.
All in all, I'm glad I picked it. It sparked a lively discussion, even if it didn't quite live up to my memories.
And, in a rare fit of real-world restraint, Joe gave it an 8.2.
No comments:
Post a Comment