Tuesday, August 8, 2023

happy tunesday! changing rainbows (the marc whinston project)

  


Continuing with the tracks from my album, track number seven is "Changing Rainbows."

For reference, previous entries in this series were:
This song was actually my third attempt to use the title for a song. I don't remember the context, but I heard the phrase "changing rainbows" when I was in high school, and thought it would make a good song title.

My first try was a self-conscious attempt at a rewrite of Paul Simon's "59th Street Bridge Song" (often incorrectly referred to as "Feelin' Groovy." It was pretty awful. I won't cite the lyrics, though I do recall the entire first verse.

The second try was a bit better (low bar). Or, I should say it showed more promise since I never finished it. It was written from the perspective of a man asking a woman for a relationship. It kind of created the metaphor of relationships as rainbows. "You're always changing rainbows. / That's how it seems to be. / So try out the rainbow / That's me." It could have worked, though I am glad I never finished it. The album have plenty of songs that are based on a variation of "please love me (or care about me) as much as I love (or care about) you." It's good to have a different subject.

This, the third try, was just about relaxing with the rain. I have fond memories of rainy days at summer camp, where there wasn't much to do but hang out on the bunk's covered porch and watch the rain. As an adult, one of the things I wish my house had is a covered porch. When it's raining, I think about how nice it would be to just hang out on that porch and read.

This was the first recording that Toby Wilson made for me. I emailed him a lyric sheet with a message that we should talk. He naturally assumed that I needed a melody, and emailed back with some thoughts. So I had to clear up that I had a melody and just needed his services to record. If I had it to do again, I might have gone for a little more twangy guitar instead of the mandolin. But I still love the way it came out.

Enjoy.

"Changing Rainbows"
Song by: Marc Whinston
Lead vocal by Toby Wilson
All instruments and backing vocals by Toby Wilson
Arranged and Produced by Toby Wilson for Tobias Wilson Music, Ltd.

No comments:

Post a Comment