Tuesday, May 2, 2023

happy tunesday! midnight has come and gone (the marc whinston project)

  


Continuing with the tracks from my album, Track number five is "Midnight Has Come and Gone."

For reference, previous entries in this series were:
Decades ago I spent several summers at Orthodox Jewish sleepaway camps. There, I got to hear a lot of Israeli pop songs from the era. One song that stuck with me was* "K'var Acharei Chatzot" (which means "It's Already After Midnight") a 1968 record by Ilanit. For reference, I'm including a video of Ilanit singing it.


And that was the inspiration for "Midnight Has Come and Gone." The influence is obvious. My title is close to a translation of Ilanit's. and both songs include pleas for another moment. There are certain structural similarities as well -- notably, in both songs the title is the first line of each verse. But Ilanit's song has a certain hopeful quality to it. In my song, the protagonist sounds desperate. I never really figured out the backstory, but it feels that there's some kind of forbidden affair. The line, "Tomorrow is another day and I don't want to go back to pretend," says something about what's going on. Is someone cheating on a spouse? Are two coworkers sneaking around? I honestly don't know.

"Midnight has Come and Gone"
Song by: Marc Whinston
Lead vocal by Toby Wilson
All instruments and backing vocals by Toby Wilson
Arranged and Produced by Toby Wilson for Tobias Wilson Music, Ltd.
________________________________________________________
*For ease, I will translate or trasliterate Hebrew names and titles and render them in English -- isntead of writing them in Hebrew.

No comments:

Post a Comment