Sunday, January 30, 2022

cinema history class: zorro (1975)

 


As always, there may be spoilers here. And the trailer may be NSFW and/or NSFL.

Session: Masked Men, Both Good and Evil (week 4)
Movie: Zorro (1975)
Directed by Duccio Tessari

Plot:
At a time and place where corrupt officials take what -- and whom -- they want, one masked swordsman -- Zorro -- stands up for justice. Spaghetti ensues.

Reaction and Other Folderol:
I have to admit that none of the stuff I don't like about this movie should be held against it. When I say that, I am primarily referring to the humor. There's plenty of action here to be sure, but the whole things is played for laughs. Which is fine if you like that sort of thing. But it's not what I want in a spaghetti western. Just like I don't want the clearly-defined good guys and bad guys -- which is another thing we've seen this whole session. I already knew -- through Keith's various presentations and classes -- that there were plenty of spaghetti westerns with strong emphasis on comedy. But this may be the first one I've seen. Now, of course, if Keith is reading this he may very well remind me of one that I have seeen.

So there was lots of fun and humor, accompanying a plot that was somewhere in that vague area between coherent and incoherent. And I did enjoy it way more than I really want to admit.

Ratings
Me: 8.5
Bob-O: 10
Dave: 9.8
Ethan: 8
Joe 10

Cats: No cats, but there was one dog named Assassin, who provided much comic relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment