Wednesday, June 2, 2021

cinema history class: the night stalker

Session: TV Terrors, Week 1
Movie: The Night Stalker (1972)
Directed by John Llewellyn Moxey


As always, there may be spoilers here. And the trailer may be NSFW and/or NSFL.

Plot:
A serial killer is stalking women in Las Vegas. Disgraced reporter, Carl Kolchak, is convinced he's a vampire. Horror ensues.

Reaction and Other Folderol:
Before talking about the movie, I should note that Joe is back in the class after a COVID-driven absence of more than a year. I haven't seen him in that time, though we did occasionally email. It was good to see him again.

And thius movie was an appropriate one for Joe to make his return. The Night Stalker did so well that it spawned a TV series, called Kolchak: The Night Stalker. That series is one of Joe's absolute favorites, and he considers it a travesty that it only lasted one season.

I loved the crisp diualog, especially when Darren McGavin and Claude Akins shared the screen. I can't say I'm a huge Claude Akins fan, but I have liked him in everything I've seen him in.

I also loved the ending. As the movie was heading for its close, I was anticipating two possible endings. In one, the town officials would force Kolchak to leave town. In the other they would arrest him for murder. I was wondering which ending we'd see. And the script (well-written by Richard Matheson) managed to combine those twoi possibilities into one.

Also relevant: I hate Las Vegas.

Ratings
Me: 8.8
Bob: 9
Christina: 9.5
Joe: 10 (duh)

No comments:

Post a Comment