Wednesday, October 28, 2020

cinema history class: the prowler

Session: And Then There Were None, Week 1
Movie: The Prowler (1981)
Directed by Joseph Zito


As always, there may be spoilers here. And the trailer may be NSFW and/or NSFL

Plot:
A college graduation party is stalked by a psychotic killer in full military gear. Hilarity ensues.

Reaction:
I'm actually of somewhat mixed minds about this movie. There's a certain vagueness about the exposition that I found frustrating. And yet, since I was able to figure out the unstated backstory and the killer's motives, maybe it was OK and I should be thankful that they didn't hit the viewer over the head with it.

I haven't seen a whole lot of slasher movies in my life, but I could still recognize all the standard tropes and formula-driven sequences. So I knew early on which main character would survive, and throughout I could knew exactly how scene after scene would play out. Yeah, she'll struggle with the door until the last second... Yeah, she's gonna die now... He'll save her, but die in the process... But, like the visual equivalent of comfort food, it was satisfying to watch. Not particularly memorable, but satisfying.

I have to give the film credit for Tom Savini's wonderful makeup and effects. They really made it.

Ratings:
Me: 7
Christina: 8.2
Ethan: 7

No comments:

Post a Comment