Tuesday, September 10, 2019

it's tunesday!


For today, I'm actually going with a top-40 hit: Nick Lowe's "Cruel to Be Kind," in honor of Will Birch's new book, Cruel to Be Kind: The Life and Music of Nick Lowe. The book was actually release late last month, but I don't have a copy yet. Will Birch and Nick Lowe are scheduled to do a book event at the Strand in downtown Manhattan this evening. Ethan and I have tickets -- I ordered two tickets that come with an autographed copy of the book -- for less money, tickets are available that don't come with a copy of the book. But we won't be there.

I was really looking forward to this, but then this past weekend I got an email from the Strand with the rules for the event.

Nick Lowe won't be signing the book (since he didn't write it). No pictures with Nick Lowe, or with Will Birch (though you can take candids of the latter while he talks. Will Birch will not sign anything except his book. Nick Lowe will not sign anything. Now, I actually get all of this. These guys are entertainers, but they don't owe us anything. If they go down the road of taking photos and signing anything, then they'll be there forever. Still and all, the curt email put a sour taste in my mouth.

But the big thing is the seating -- or, should I say lack of seating. The email noted that there will be limited seating, with most attendees standing. Had I known that, I wouldn't have bothered reserving a spot in the first place. If I am standing through the event, I will be uncomfortable and won't enjoy it. To avoid standing, I need to go early and have a good place in line. But I don't want to waste an hour or two waiting around. The email did include an email address for those who need a seat for medical reasons. But framing my discomfort with standing as a medical need? Maybe I'd be able to get away with it; I doubt they'd require certification. But I just can't do that in good conscience.

Anyway, I won't enjoy that.

Blair made a call for me, and learned that if I don;t show up I have a week to pick up the autographed book. If I don't, then they'll refund my money. So I ordered the book on Amazon, and in a week I'll get a refund from the Strand. Two lucky fans who cares more about autographs than I do will get to buy those autographed copies.

I'll admit that there's part of me that feels bad about this. Nick Lowe is one of my favorite musicians. I could go on and on about what I like about his (and Birch's) songwriting, production, and music. And I have one of Birch's previous books, No Sleep Till Canvey Island. He is a first rate raconteur, so I'll bet the talk will be interesting.

But the standing.

I've been to lots of book signings, readings, Q&A's, etc. In a lot of venues (though admittedly never at the Strand). I have never had to stand through any of them. I'm not interested in doing it now. And if that's what one is in for at the Strand, then I won't be making reservations at any of their events in the future.

Finally, just to be clear, this should not be read as a protest or a boycott. I still like Nick Lowe's music, and I fully expect to enjoy the book. If you're OK with standing, then by all means go to this event or events like it. But it's not for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment